5 Ways to Find Balance
There are times when your life gets completely nuts and you just can't get it together. Too much going on, too many commitments, little emergencies, illness, etc., can all make you feel like you are in survival mode all the time and just reacting to things as they are thrown to you. Here are 5 ways to get your life back in balance!
1) Spend some quiet time alone with your thoughts. Even if you can't leave your house, close your door and just spend some time writing down your thoughts or just thinking without distraction.
2) Make a list of your priorities. You can't do it all. Many of us suffer for the disease to please and we say yes to everything that is asked of us. Is there too much on your plate? Are you doing things that are not a priority to you? Write it down.
3) Cut it out. If something is at the bottom of your priority list, but you are spending time doing it to the detriment of something at the top, then it needs to go. Do not feel guilty about this. Cut out the things that are causing stress and not adding to your quality of life.
4) Get healthy. Are you out of shape? Are you overweight? These things contribute to the unbalanced feeling you have. Your health is a priority. Better food means more energy. Less weight means you feel better. Get fit, get strong and feel better about your life. Make yourself a priority!
5) Family matters. Move your spouse to the top of your priority list. Put your children next. Spend time together. Family dinners have an enormous impact in children's future happiness and achievement. Turn off phones, tvs, computers and spend quality time reading, hiking, playing games, cooking, laughing.
If you do these 5 things, you will gain more time in your day to do the things you actually want to do and enjoy doing. Move yourself and your relationships to the top of your priority list, your life will start moving to a more balanced state. Cut out all activities that are not adding value to your life and start doing the things you really want or need to do. It is craziness to continue doing an activity that we dread every week and that takes time away from meaningful pursuits. Your children will still be successful if you take a season off of traveling soccer. I promise. Stop rushing from one thing to the next and instead have time to peacefully do the things you really want to do! This is your only life, you owe it to yourself to at least enjoy it!